In setting up Ruby and Ruby on Rails in my (aging) 1GHz PowerBook, I decided to use Dan Benjamin’s excellent instructions, but I deviated from them in a few places to reduce compilation time and to fix some other problems, so I thought I’d document what I did in case it helps anyone else. So here it is:I deviated from Dan’s instructions to reduce compilation time and to fix some other problems
- Instead of compiling Ruby and RubyGems, I downloaded and installed the Ruby One-Click installer, which worked perfectly.
- Instead of compiling Subversion, I downloaded and installed the Subversion installer.
- Now I followed Dan’s instructions, but only the following steps:
- Ruby on Rails:
sudo gem install rails --include-dependencies
sudo gem install capistrano --include-dependencies
sudo gem install termios --include-dependencies
- MySQL: I used the installer as suggested, but installed 5.0.45, which is the latest version at the moment (instead of 5.0.37 in the writeup).
- MySQL native bindings: With the command suggested by Dan, it kept trying to compile it for i386 architecture on my PowerPC machine, so I used
sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-config, and that worked fine.
- Fix MySQL:
sudo install_name_tool -change /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.15.dylib /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.15.dylib /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.bundle
That’s it. Everyting seems to work fine!