Tag Archives: Ruby

things2thl – migrate from Things to The Hit List

I’ve been meaning to give The Hit List a good try since I got it as part of the Macheist 3 bundle. However, I have to continue tracking my tasks, and I have all of them already in the awesome Things (about which I have written before). So I have spent the last few days putting together a script to migrate my data from Things to THL. You can find it here: http://zzamboni.github.com/things2thl/. You can install it as a gem package or download the source code. There is not much documentation for now, but look at the help (things2thl -h) and you should figure it out quite easily.

If you find anything that is broken, or you have any type of feedback, please let me know (ideally, create an issue in github).

A full review of THL will follow when I’ve had a few days to play with it.

Links: ADC—Developing Cocoa Applications Using MacRuby

ADC—Developing Cocoa Applications Using MacRuby – Cocoa + Ruby (tags: @readlater cocoa ruby macosx programming )

Installing Ruby + Rails on an old Mac

In setting up Ruby and Ruby on Rails in my (aging) 1GHz PowerBook, I decided to use Dan Benjamin’s excellent instructions, but I deviated from them in a few places to reduce compilation time and to fix some other problems, so I thought I’d document what I did in case it helps anyone else. So here it is:I deviated from Dan’s instructions to reduce compilation time and to fix some other problems

  1. Instead of compiling Ruby and RubyGems, I downloaded and installed the Ruby One-Click installer, which worked perfectly.
  2. Instead of compiling Subversion, I downloaded and installed the Subversion installer.
  3. Now I followed Dan’s instructions, but only the following steps:
    • Ruby on Rails: sudo gem install rails --include-dependencies
    • Capistrano: sudo gem install capistrano --include-dependencies
    • Termios: sudo gem install termios --include-dependencies
    • MySQL: I used the installer as suggested, but installed 5.0.45, which is the latest version at the moment (instead of 5.0.37 in the writeup).
    • MySQL native bindings: With the command suggested by Dan, it kept trying to compile it for i386 architecture on my PowerPC machine, so I used sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-config, and that worked fine.
    • Fix MySQL: sudo install_name_tool -change /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.15.dylib /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.15.dylib /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.bundle

That’s it. Everyting seems to work fine!